Yesterday, I wrote about practicing our faith and how important it is to invest time with God through bible reading and prayer.
I’ve been thinking about this and how much it has been a game changer in my life.
But to be honest, it has been an inconsistent practice in my life. All too often, I have been too busy or too tired or too caught up in my own issues to make time for this.
I wish I could tell you it changed it over night but it started with small steps that turned into making it a habit in my life.
I do realize how hard it is to make time, especially as a busy mom (remember I have those 4 kids!) but I want to encourage you with a few things you can do to start practicing this habit.
1. Get Up Early. I know. I know. Everyone cringes at the thought of it, especially if you have little ones keeping you up at night. But I tell you it is key. You don’t always have to spend that focused time with God in the morning but I have found there is just something about it. The house is quiet, peaceful, and it’s just you and God. He will meet you there every morning. Promise.
2. Be Consistent. They say it takes 21 days to make a habit. If you get up 30 minutes early for the next month, I guarantee you won’t even need the alarm clock anymore. In fact, I suspect the Spirit will give you a holy nudge to wake you up even earlier before too long.
3. Be Expectant. For many years this was just something I thought I should do to check it off on my good girl checklist. But hear me loud and clear, it is so much more than that. Remember that He wants to spend time with you. He loves you. Consider it your early morning date with the Creator. Even if it is only 15-30 minutes. Just begin spending time searching His word and pouring out your heart to Him.
4. Be prepared. Get your bible and whatever else you use for your quiet time. It could be a devotional book, a bible study, a journal, or a book that you are reading. I keep all my “morning stuff” together in a basket so I have it all in one place. For me, I prefer to have a devotional book or bible study to guide my time. It helps a lot when you wake up sleepy 😉 – it gives you something to focus on and direct the time until it becomes more routine.
5. Be Attentive. Commit yourself to making time for Him first. While I grab my phone when I climb out of bed in the morning, I do not allow myself to access it until I’m finished with this quiet time. I also grab my laptop but only use it for bible study tools. Somehow setting aside and giving Him my complete attention before the day begins makes all the difference in the world.
6. Just Start. Wherever you are at. Whatever you have. Most of us have a bible and an alarm clock in our homes. If no bible, the internet has great resources for online bibles. If you don’t have a devotional book or study, grab some paper and start opening up your heart and pouring out your concerns to the Father. If you aren’t sure what to read, Proverbs has 31 books so it’s very easy to read a Proverb a day for a month. Don’t worry about doing this right or wrong because there is no right or wrong way to do it. Just begin.
These have been the steps I have taken that have helped me maintain a consistent time to spend with the Lord. And in doing that, it has become a life-changing habit. You won’t be disappointed.